Friday, November 9, 2018

Hen Gathers Her Brood


At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, ‘Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.’ He said to them, ‘Go and tell that fox for me, “Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed away from Jerusalem.” Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, “Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.” ’ Luke 13:31-35

Although our daughters are grown, I still ache to gather them in when times are tough and scary. I know they don't need my protection but my whole being aches to protect and shelter them against rough times ahead. When we love someone, we want to keep them safe. It is our nature as human animals. When they have been our responsibility all their young lives, it is hard to watch from a distance as they face huge hurdles and challenges. It can be hard to let go, even when we must.

Jesus is warned against the coming threats and violence. Although he knows that it must come, he also fears for the people and the city he loves. He had a heart of a parent, protective, stern and aching with love. He had to let things transpire, yet he wished to hide them from their coming grief. He loved the world so much and still loves the world as a human parent loves their children and would lay down their lives for their safety. We are invited today to see God as aching with love for each of us. 

Today, I ask God to help me open my heart to the love of our Creator. May we live and serve others, knowing that the heart of God aches with love for each and every one of us.



No comments: