Saturday, November 24, 2018

Christ the King

Sunday, November 25th Proper 29 Year B   Christ The King

 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, ‘Are you the King of the Jews?’ Jesus answered, ‘Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?’ Pilate replied, ‘I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?’ Jesus answered, ‘My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.’ Pilate asked him, ‘So you are a king?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.’ John 18:33-37

Christ the King

He comes as fragile our lord
a small and needy child
an immigrant and illegal
sought out by the authorities.

Our king teaches us to serve
to bow to the needs of others
to sweep the floors and serve
so that we might share the crown.

The crown of thorns is harsh
yet the power comes from love
a beating heart for all the world
arms that surround the weeping ones.

Sing now as we make new room
clean our hearts for the advent time
our King comes in  sweet humility
the whole world bows down low.

This darkness is but a season
this worry is solely temporary
we will rejoice and sing again
the ruler of our hearts will come.

No comments: