Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Under the Tree


The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.” Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.” Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.” When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, “Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!” Nathanael asked him, “Where did you get to know me?” Jesus answered, “I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.” Nathanael replied, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.” And he said to him, “Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” John 1:43-51 
Since I have bene here on Sunday in Brewster, MA for Clergy Conference, a rabbit has guided my coming and going. Always on the path, this rabbit or tsi -s-du, in Cherokee, has been my companion on the way. Many folks don't notice the rabbits or the birds who stay to the shadows. They do not think too much of themselves, yet they companion us and guide us none the less. We are truly blessed when they walk a while with us.
Nathanael encounters Jesus who tells him he was noticed under the tree. Nathanael is one of those amazing humans who doesn't think too highly of himself, is honest, and a good companion on the way. And Jesus sees him and acknowledges the great gift he truly is. We are invited by God to open our eyes to the companions who are genuine and true, always present, whether we acknowlede them or not, as they are precious to God. They can even be god-bearers in our lives, those who bring us love unconditionally.
Today I ask God to give me the heart and eyes to notice the Nathanaels and the Tsisdus in my midst. May we rejoice in the gentle ones, who bear love and the quiet and constant presence of our loving Creator.

No comments: