Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home


Today, I preached and celebrated for the first time as Rector of All Saints' Church in Harrison, New york. I am so grateful to be here and everyone made me feel right at home. So my blog for today is a simple prayer of gratitude and thanksgiving.

Loving and Tender God,
today I returned to the community that fashioned me
in a new role, in a new place and I have found home with them.

You formed me and grew me up here
and you sent me on my way through years
of study and learning, you have always lead me
by the hand. You made paths straight when my life was crooked.
You made enemies into friends and covered me always with mercy.

My heart can't help but sing. My voice trembles with joy
as I reach for words that speak of thankfulness and your constancy.

When I lost my way, you lead me,
when I gave up your strengthen me.
And now here I am where I began and you have made me a home,
a welcome beyond expectations, a heart bursting with joy.

With a humble and thankful heart, I ask for you continuing
presence and guidance. Bless these gracious people,
help me to care for them and be their pastor.
Make us one in you. I ask this all in the name of Jesus,
who came that we might all be your family,
and that we might all be at home with you. Amen.

No comments: