Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Measure for Measure


And he said to them, “Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket, or under a bed, and not on a stand? For nothing is hidden except to be made manifest; nor is anything secret except to come to light. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.” And he said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you. For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” Mark 4:21-25

When I grew up in this town, the to which I have now returned, I was always aware that as a clergy kid, everything I did would be found out. There was no getting away with anything and everything would be brought to light. That doesn't mean I didn't try to get away with a few things in my teenage years, it just means I had a sense that it was not possible to do something without a report getting back to my parents. The experience of 'nothing is hidden' was negative in those days. I just wanted to be a normal kid growing up. Today I realize that 'nothing is hidden' has positive connotations as well, and that I am discovering many plants that grew out of ancient seeds, and many programs that continue to thrive. The measure we use -more will be given. God is always increasing our capacity if we will trust God with our limited selves.

May today be an offering, a giving of a small measure, trusting that God will use and increase what ever we are able to offer. In these days of limited incomes and anxious economies, we are reminded that Gods coffers are full to overflowing, and that the capacity and increase of the creator are unlimited. We might all be tempted to hoard, but today I am encouraged to spend - my gifts and small measure I can - so that God can display increase. May we all offer our small portion so that God's love might increase in this world, so desperate for a generosity of the heart.

No comments: