Saturday, October 3, 2009

Great Calm


Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. Matthew 8:26
There was a great storm in our house this morning. The kids who got married last Saturday stayed with us last night so their Dad could drive them to the airport this morning. Off to a honeymoon in Hawaii. I am so glad for them and so glad that the wedding and everything around the wedding went so well.And it feels as if a whirlwind has subsided. It feels as of there is a great calm descending, if but for a few minutes.

I realize, as I say these things, that my family and these wonderful events are life threatening like a storm, but can become such a vortex of activity that joy and peace can be crushed in the process. We can all get overwhelmed by the busyness. So, for today, I am going to be thankful for the great calm, these few moments of quiet. And I want to remember that Jesus was in the boat during the storm, as well as the calm in the midst of the storm. Jesus is with us in all the boats on all the rough seas we travel. Today, I want to remember that and ask God for the calm I need to weather what is ahead.

No comments: