Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Father's belief


The official said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” 50 Jesus said to him, “Go; your son will live.” The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way. John 4:49-50

My big football playing chaplain Daddy
sat in the window weeping, talking
to Jesus asking to spare my life and I awake
delirious with medicine overwhelmed with the image
My Daddy asking for help and crying.

I laid in bed and wondered light and shadow playing
with the possibility of life and death and surgery
it was today's surgery that would kill or save
and I was caught between hanging by faith's tread
and my Daddy's tears.

I was a little girl of twelve strong
and terrified so confident in adults so sure
of good results and then a crying father and
the possibility of pain and danger final moments
together, he on the window sill and me on the edge
of life.

My Daddy's faith rich and strong sang to me
during surgery, the promise of life pulsed through
the ether and the surgical theater and I was center
in the heart of God and surrounded by an awesome love.

Go; your child will live, the tears were answered
the heavens opened out of sight angels sang
and whispered your child will live
you, child, you will live.

No comments: