Sunday, December 20, 2009

Rejoicing Spirit


My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant. Luke 1:46-48

We had a good deal of snow overnight and although it has been called a blizzard or the winter wallop of 2009, it was really just a good snow -about 8 inches. Now I realize this would paralyze some place in the country, but not here. I trudged next door to the church and opened up at the regular time for the 8 o'clock service. The heat was on, and I turned the lights on and lit the candles. I sat and waited. At 8, I rang the bells, the peals echoing across the snow, reverberating through a near silent town. Our roads are cleared but it is very cold and overcast. I sat and read the lessons out loud to myself and no one came. I prayed for everyone and everything. And then I turned out some lights and came home. Maybe we'll have folks for the 10:30 am service - our Christmas pageant.Since this is my first time through here, there is no script for how this should all go - when we have a snow like this. I just have to wait and see what happens a little later.

Mary was waiting to see what happened a little later. She had been overwhelmed by the angel, threatened by her village, comforted by Joseph's kindness and didn't know what to do. She went to see Elizabeth. And in her cousin's eyes and words she not only found strength to go on, she found her spirit singing, rejoicing for God's touch in her life. Mary's life was always a challenge, people always put on her more than she could bear, but in this moment with dear Elizabeth, she felt the full love of God in her life. And she couldn't help herself. She had to sing.

Today, despite the challenges of weather and schedules, I want to remember and know God's love and activity in my life. I feel like singing despite the many uncertainties, because I know that God is with us. Waiting and seeing can be challenging for many of us. I know it is for me. At least today, I want to spend my time, rejoicing in God's love in my life, God's full presence in this community. I pray that whatever is ahead of us today, we can go forward with joy, knowing God is with us.

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

When in doubt - sing, yes!! God's greatest communication gift to us.

Extra blessings today, from Jannie, the roving commenter.