Thursday, January 14, 2010

Greater than these


“Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” And he said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you,you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” John 1:50-51

Some of the most beautiful visual moments I have witnessed happened by the water. Part of this is that I have spent so much of my life near the water. One can't help but see magnificent moments when the sun and the water dance together and sometimes they even sing. Seasons change the light and the water and provide another kind of beauty and display. It is a constantly changing palette, one I feel drawn to time and time again for its mystery and elegant beauty. The seas can also be harsh, horrible and destructive and tear apart peoples lives. The ocean is no gentle subject, rather powerful and magnificent, and constantly changing.

Nathanael believed because Jesus saw him under the fig tree. We often make belief statements when something amazing or beautiful happens. We likewise often wonder where God is when terrible tragedy happens, like the earthquake in Haiti. It is a horrible thing and it is hard to fathom the pain, loss and devastation. These are the times when I wish to see the greater things of God - heavens opened, angels descending- to heal and renew the broken. I am also aware that God gives us an opportunity in these moments to demonstrate our best selves, our compassion and care, to live for others for a time. In these times when most have drawn in and are just trying to stay alive, we are invited to do greater than these times.

Today, I want to find ways to live my fiat and my thanksgiving for blessings I know. I want to be grateful for the beauty and community, family and health. And I want to use my life for the strengthening of others. May we all in our small way be agents of God's demonstrated love in this world today.

No comments: