Saturday, January 23, 2010

We have heard for ourselves


Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.” John 4:39-42

Today, we head out to take our daughter Phoebe back to college for her last semester in her undergraduate career. We have had a daughter in school since 1983, and someone in college since 1996. A chapter of her life is coming to a close. A chapter of our lives too, is coming to a close. One cannot really imagine the next phases of life before they happen. I know these will be wonderful times for her and for us. There will be new and different things to look forward to. There will be accomplishments in all of our daughters lives to celebrate in the coming years. We will be surprised and delighted, over and over again by all their good work and relationships. And not knowing completely what lies ahead seems a bit scary and fragile, at least for today.

So today, I want to seek the smiles and laughter that we have today. Not looking for the big plans for the future, or even worrying about tomorrow, but really focus of today. Just today. For I am convinced that if I focus on the gifts of today, God will have the days to come. More wonderfully than I can imagine. I know and have heard and seen for myself how God takes care of us - abundantly and fully. May we all, as we face life's changes, entrust our days to God. For God is willing and ready to abundantly provide.

No comments: