Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What are you seeking?


Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi, where are you staying?” He said to them, “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. John 1:38-39

Last year, for Christmas, my daughter Ariel gave me a GPS for my car. Knowing that I often have to go to unfamiliar places on crazy busy roads, it was a kind gift and something that I use a great deal. Other members of the family borrow it if they are going somewhere unfamiliar. It is very helpful. But I have found myself in conversation with what I know is an inanimate object. The voice doesn't ask me where am I going, when I make a wrong turn. She just tells me she's recalculating. It infuriates me, since I was following her directions all along. I often remind her that I am doing the driving. She does usually get me to where I am going, but often not by the way I imagined. I occasionally remind here that it would be nice if she would appreciate a job well, another mystery driving event without an incident.

Andrew was looking for direction. He wanted to be closer to God and so had followed John and been baptized and listen often as he gave people directions for preparing for and finding the messiah. When he and another disciple of John finally found Jesus, they were reluctant to say what they were seeking. "Where are you staying ?" was their reply. I don't think they wanted to see the room where Jesus lived or get home design suggestions from him. They ached to be close to God and firm in their faith. And seeing Jesus they knew they were in the right place -just embarrassed to admit their needs and desires. They ached to be on the road with him, and desperately wanted to know God's hand in their lives. They wanted their journey to be touched by God.

Today, I want to remember how important it is to ask for directions, and whatever I need. And how reluctant I am to admit that need. Today, I want to honestly admit, in prayer and in relation to others, the real needs and hopes that are in my heart. God is willing and we are often so reluctant. May today be the day we offer our real needs to God, trusting that God is faithful and just, the source of love and all good desires. And may we be blessed, whatever our journey to know the touch of God's love in our lives today.

No comments: