Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Coming Down From Heaven


"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” John 6:57-48

This morning I was woken up early, around four, by the sound of the snow plow revving up in our parking lot, getting everything cleared before the children came for daycare and nursery school. We didn't have a great deal of snow- an inch or two. When I went to bed last night it was as if everything was sprinkled with powered sugar. A night time dessert, food from heaven. This morning, with a new blanket of snow, the world seemed gentle and newborn in spite of the sounds from the snow cleaning machines. They were done quickly and the pre-dawn world glistened in the star light. A momentary wonderland for a sleepy visitor.

Our Gospel points us to the radical intersection between heaven and earth, between all of creation and the Creator. It points to our radical interdependence on one another in and beyond the created world. And it invites us to consider God's care for all the elements of our life, our food, shelter, our lives, our death and the continuation of our lives beyond what we see and know. Jesus invites us to a wonderland of possibility, where we are provided with all our needs, now and eternally.

Today, I want to rejoice in the goodness of creation and give thanks for my total dependence on God for all things necessary for my life. Too often, I worry and fret for the things of life. Today, I want to trust God more and my worries less. May we all delight in our creation, in our dependence on the Creator and the promises of abundance and life that are meant for all.

No comments: