Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pressing On


Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

There are days when it is easy to press on, and other days where the battle begins at daylight and never quits. Some days it is easy to be faithful and other days it takes every ounce of will we have. I have had a few days of late that have challenged both my patience and endurance. When the daily trials seem overwhelming I tend to lean heavily on scripture and prayer. This passage from Philippians has gotten me through more than a few hard times. And prayer, the simpler the better, helps me through the times when my own words fail me. So I have attached below a few of my recent favorite prayers that help me through the times when all the hills seem too high to climb.

Grant me, O Lord my God, a mind to know you, a heart to seek you, wisdom to find you, conduct pleasing to you, faithful perseverance in waiting for you, and a hope of finally embracing you. Amen.
--Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas


O gracious and holy Father, give me wisdom to perceive you, intelligence to understand you,diligence to seek you, patience to wait for you, a heart to meditate on you, and a life to proclaim you. Amen.
--Adapted from a Prayer of Saint Benedict


Lord Jesus Christ, by your patience and suffering you hallowed earthly pain, be near me in my time of weakness and pain; sustain me by your grace, that my strength and courage may not fail;heal me according to your will; help me always to believe that what happens to me here is of little account if you hold me in eternal life, my Lord and my God. Amen.--The Book of Common Prayer


Teach me, O Lord, to fear you without being afraid, to fear you in love, that I may love you without fear. Amen.
--Adapted from Christina Rossetti


May God give us all the grace today to ask for help continually, and the insight to see God's love and help coming on every horizon.

No comments: