Monday, February 22, 2010

Tempted and Tried


In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son;with you I am well pleased.” The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him. Mark 1:9-13

For Today, I am writing a list of trails and temptations. The small things that bring us to doubt that we are the children of God, and that God cares for us night and day.

When I am attempting a simple repair and it doesn't work, I am tempted to let frustration rule.

When someone looks judges me by how I look, and I see by their glance I didn't measure up, I am tempted to let their judgment stand.

When I am late for something, I am tempted to feel like a failure.

When the programs I offer are not well attended, I think I've made a terrible mistake.

When my children are in some danger, I feel like I have failed them.

When the traffic slows to a crawl, I think it was some sort of punishment.

When I get sick, I feel like I have to say I am sorry.

The lists can go on and on. I want us to remember as we await spring in this longest, shortest month of the year, that Jesus knew fully what is was to be human. God spoke to him from heaven saying he was his son, his beloved. And yet there were days when he felt unable to complete the task. God asks all of us to do incredibly hard things sometimes. And sometimes we don't feel up to the task and want to blame ourselves for our humanity. And God says to each of us today, "you are my beloved, in whom I am well pleased." We are all tempted and tried and thank God none of us has to be Jesus. But we can be fully the wonderful creations God has made, and fully trust God to see us through every trial and temptation we face today.

No comments: