Sunday, June 13, 2010

Alabaster Jars


One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and took his place at the table. And a woman in the city, who was a sinner, having learned that he was eating in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment. She stood behind him at his feet, weeping, and began to bathe his feet with her tears and to dry them with her hair. Then she continued kissing his feet and anointing them with the ointment. Luke 7:36-38



I remember as a child the joy with which I saved my money to buy my mother or father a gift for their birthdays or other holidays. Sometimes I would make them something fabulous and they would always receive it with great joy as if I had given them a new car or an all-expense paid world cruise. They knew my heart was in the gift and so it was a real treasure. I also know that when my girls made me something when they were young or saved up their money and bought some great gift, I was moved to tears of elation. I felt like a queen and no gift could make me happier. They gave their all out of love and nothing can be finer.

The woman who anointed Jesus' head and feet, gave her all out of love. In an opulent setting, where servants ran about and food was in abundance, love and gratefulness were no where to be found. But in the heartfelt gift of the woman who had been transformed by love, we see God's love and design for us. We can be so wealthy and never appreciate what we have or we can be bowled over by the smallest treasure and know how blessed we are.

Today, I want to give thanks for the love that is so abundant and evident in my life. I pray that I can truly treasure every day and every one who reveals God's love in my life. May I never take these treasure for granted. May I never even want for more or judge these gifts as inadequate. For God dwells in love, and in the treasure of our hearts.

No comments: