Tuesday, June 22, 2010

End of the Line


And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first. Matthew 19:29-30

End of the Line

I am on the platform grit
blowing in my face heat
beyond describing waiting
for a seat on the train.

I am standing rocking
persistent motion falling
on some annoyed commuter trying
to stay upright wishing for one
seat, one friend, one smile, one time.

I am going to the end of the line another
station many exit to tree lined roads sweating
no air in the car now too many departed
no breeze left for the end of the line.

I am alone except for another singing
softly humming perhaps while reading
smiling patting the seat as invitation
turning to me not away carefully
I approach, gently I acknowledge welcome.

Weary travelers all today the Creator
rides with us on these hard journeys
taking the last seat in the car
exiting at the end of the line
love making room for you.

No comments: