Saturday, June 19, 2010

Streadfast Love


It is he who remembered us in our low estate,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
and rescued us from our foes,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
he who gives food to all flesh,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of heaven,
for his steadfast love endures forever.Psalm 136:23-26


I grew up every summer with a constant reminder of my safety and care. When we would first arrive at our house, after school was done and the bikes packed, we would drive in the night to our home in Cape May Point. Often arriving in the dead of the night, we would fall into a bed, often unmade and stale from the winter's closure, and be again asleep. There was also some moment in the middle of the night when I would wake and wonder about the strange light. Was there someone on the lawn? And then I would remember the constancy of the lighthouse, spinning slowly, hour after hour to guard us "waking and sleeping." As far as I have strayed from that light, and as many mistakes and failures I have known, that light always reminds me of God's steadfast love, repeated over and over again, until I remember how much I am loved, and how God cares tenderly for each of us and makes a way for us, despite the cruelty and criticism of this world.

This Saturday, I want to remind all of those who are riddled with self-doubt, all of those who don't feel like they fit, all of those who are teased and mistreated despite your beauty and brilliance - God made you very special and God's love is steadfast and constant, even when all confidence and faith is gone. Today, I want to remind us all to hold on, the light is coming. God is in the business of bringing about good things for us despite the ways and evils of the world. Your light is coming, God's light is here. God is actively working for our healing, reconciliation and success, despite all of the challenges we face.

No comments: