Tuesday, October 12, 2010

God's Daughters


As Jesus went, the people pressed around him. And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her living on physicians, she could not be healed by anyone. She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately her discharge of blood ceased. And Jesus said, “Who was it that touched me?” When all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!” But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me.” And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.” Luke 8:42-48

We have been blessed with three wonderful daughters. Strong young women who are compassionate and caring, lively and bright and who fill our lives with joy and laughter. Each is truly a gift from God because of severe surgery I had as a child, there were plenty of indications that I might never have children. Being a mother has been a true gift to me. I didn't deserve the wonderful women my daughters have become, nor did I merit the love that they give me so genuinely. We have had moments of strains and challenges of course. And as a mother, it is so hard when they are hurting as adults. I cannot do the same things I used to do - a funny song, kisses, band-aids, Popsicles or a bowl of popcorn. Today the bumps and scrapes are much harder and they have to seek healing themselves. How I wish I could carry them to Jesus, follow him in a crowd and just touch his robe.

The story of the woman who touches Jesus' cloak is embedded in the story of Jairus' daughter. He is a rich official with a very sick daughter. He implores Jesus to come to his house and make his child well. They are making their way there when the woman who has been bleeding for years, touches his robe and is made whole. Jesus calls her daughter and blesses her. At the same time someone arrives to tell Jairus that his daughter is dead. They go to the house anyway, and Jesus raises the child, raises the daughter. God's love and miracles are somehow inherently bound to the relationship of parent to child, mother to daughters, fathers to their children. All of our children are gifts from God, shared with loved but marked as God's beloved as well as ours. In this is a parent's comfort, that God is more caring and tender towards our children than we can even be.

Today, I ask God to give me the strength to turn my worry into prayers and to trust God for the healing and safety of our daughters and all our family. I pray that God will remind me moment by moment that God holds all the children in warm, loving hands. May we all remember that each and every one is precious to God, God's sons and daughters and may we give thanks for the children in our lives, no matter their age.

No comments: