Sunday, October 24, 2010

Humbled


Jesus told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, `God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, `God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." Luke 18:9-14


Humbled

I thought I knew how it would work
pieces everywhere across this room scattered
across the floor broken hearts flutter
by wounded wings clasped tight
together waiting for the mending turning
a new beginning.

I thought this would be the easy part
and losing one thread we unraveled
colors everywhere tangled and frantic scrambling
to be rewoven sacred linen again.

Love mends hearts and breaks spirits aching
for healing relationship
the kiss of forgiveness the sign of peace
a touch of assurance a blessing at the end.

I thought I didn't need help, forgot
to ask include those who might know more
I lacked the soft humility of children
the wise strength of an elder and the trembling
hand outstretched of the finally honest addict.

And love will come to lift up and bind
playing a new song and putting new
wisdom in my heart, fearless love that
cast away the darkness, cuts away the envy
and replaces it with the tender laughter of
a beloved child.

No comments: