Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Savoring and Rules


While Jesus was speaking, a Pharisee asked him to dine with him, so he went in and reclined at table The Pharisee was astonished to see that he did not first wash before dinner. And the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also? But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, everything is clean for you. Luke 11:37-41

I just had one of the best pieces of pecan pie I ever ate. I really do enjoy pie and pecan is one of my favorites. The pie they make here at Shrine Mont is gorgeous and tasty. I started to feel sad even before the piece was finished knowing it would be a long time before I wouold taste a piece of pie that good. I also thought I should have had no lunch, just pie - it was that good. It got me thinking about pie and other experiences in my past.Years ago, I stopped at a friends house with another dear friend on our way to a chorus rehearsal. Our friend invited to have a piece of the pie she had just made. It was raspberry, delightful to the eye and incredible to the tongue. All her children were in the kitchen and to her astonishment, my other friend began to lick her plate clean -it was that good. And the children looked at their horrified mother and knew they would try the same thing at the very next opportunity.

Jesus went to eat with a religious leader who was horrified at his manners and his ways. He criticized Jesus for his lack of manners. Jesus didn't lick any plates clean but horrors of horrors, he didn't wash up in the ritual manner. He knew he was clean and hungry. The person he was eating with was full already - full of himself and unable to delight in the presence of the living savior. He was caught up on rules rather than delight and savoring the rare treat before him.

Today, I ask God for the courage to savor every moment and rejoice in the gifts of today, knowing that God is moving here among these people, turning our hearts and making all creation new. May we all have the courage to savor the treasures of today and trust God for all the needs of tomorrow.

No comments: