Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saints' Day


When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
"Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:1-12


Today, trying to mend after pain and injury, I got thinking about all the saints in my life who have lived with hurt, injustice, pain and hunger. They lived with compassion and caring despite challenges and offered their lives to God and for the love of others. They were, none of them perfect, and lived to their best ability with the love of God moving in their lives. Some had tempers, some bad habits, some were swallowed by depression, some chronic illness and some were unable to see or walk. And yet they lived offering their best and their infirmities to God knowing God would bless others through them, and they would be blessed by offering their all to God. Being a saint doesn't mean being perfect. Being a saint means offering our all to God trusting God is blessing all of us in our daily walk. Being a saint means accepting Gods forgiveness and forgiving others at all times. It can be the hardest work we do, but God invites us at all times to act forgiveness for the love of the world.

Today, I want to offer my all to God, even in my slightly broken state, knowing God is using me despite myself and my personal challenges. I also want to seek and accept Gods forgiveness today, while I forgive all the hurts and slights that I have held on to for so long. God is asking us to remember those who have gone before us, and to let go of those hurts that have been undermining my ability to be a blessing to others in God's name. May we all embrace our sainthood today as we forgive and love as God would have us, blessing all those we touch today.

No comments: