Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Crying For Sight


As he drew near to Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. And hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what this meant. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” And he cried out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” And those who were in front rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” And Jesus stopped and commanded him to be brought to him. And when he came near, he asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” He said, “Lord, let me recover my sight.” And Jesus said to him, “Recover your sight; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him, glorifying God. And all the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God. Luke 18:35-43

Last weekend was the last week this year we could take some things to the county recycling center. Mark was hot to get papers and other things recycled, I wanted to spend a quieter Saturday doing things artistic and such. Reluctantly I went along. The county employees couldn't have been nicer and their system was very organized and helpful. And in the process we found a park we had never been to along the Long Island Sound with a lovely walking trail and even cooler castle. I had taken my camera so we took a walk and took pictures and enjoy the wind and the water as we explored. I didn't want to see the possibilities the day had in store, but God granted me release from my blindness and the joy of discovery.

Jesus was overwhelmed by a blind man who cried out for mercy. Walking along a dusty road, Jesus found this man insistent and persistent. His friends and neighbors tried to quiet him, but he was not willing to let an opportunity pass him by. He grabbed the day, seized the moment and found himself face to face with the healing love of God.

Today, I want to see this day as an opportunity to have encounters of delight and joy and all possibilities to encounter the living, healing God. It is easy and familiar to hide out and follow a routine. But today, I want to cry out to God for all my needs, seize the mount and find myself face to face with God's healing in my life.

No comments: