Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Big Faith


The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. Luke 17:5-6

I know that my prayers often include the words, "Lord, increase my faith!". And I know I have always found this passage frustrating when I feel I am working so hard and trying to be faithful. What more does God want? And then it hits me why Jesus is always using agricultural methods in his stories. The faith has been there all along. Like the folks who have unearthed ancient seeds and in planting them found wonderful, strong, productive heirloom seeds that show none of the modern gene manipulation and hybrid diseases, we are people with big faith hidden in often quivering packages, afraid to plant and act in fear of failure.

Today I pray for the strength to act on the faith I have. I ask God to help me plant and water, to tend the garden of faith I have been given until the mighty things of faith show forth. Instead of hiding in my room and waiting for enough, I ask God for just enough energy to act and go out the door into the world, expecting the miracles and mountains moved that Christ has promised.

No comments: