Thursday, November 14, 2013

Leads Me Beside Still Waters

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters.

He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness

for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;

you anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord

forever. Psalm 23



Ancient Words for These Times



We were taught the psalms
other bible verses as well
the goal was to have a well packed bag
a tool belt armed with scripture.

I could not imagine where I would go
that there would not ne a bible
our shelves groaned with them
our meals included their reading.

The ancient words tripped my tongue
memorized they became a part of me
never thinking they would be useful
I sent them to a dusty place.

Never thought that I would start
saying David's ancient words
as the mask for sleep descended
and the surgery prep began.

The ancient words flowed like a stream
deep in the fabric of my soul
they cried out for me to the Lord
and reminded me to whom I belong.


No comments: