Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mother and Daughter


Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, ‘Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.’ But he did not answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, ‘Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us.’ He answered, ‘I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.’ But she came and knelt before him, saying, ‘Lord, help me.’ He answered, ‘It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.’ She said, ‘Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.’ Then Jesus answered her, ‘Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.’ And her daughter was healed instantly. Matthew 15:21-28

I am a mother blessed with three marvelous daughters. I feel them in my flesh and their hurts and aches are mine also. We are part of one another and I love them completely and fiercely. Ask them, but teachers and others knew that I would fight fiercely for their needs and rights and I would travel the ends of the world to rescue them, still. I guess I too might argue with the Savior of the word on their behalf and many nights have found me on my knees pleading and arguing in prayer on their behalf.

Jesus was in transit and focused on the journey, when a Canaanite woman got in his way. She got in his face for love of her child, her daughter. She had heard the stories people were telling and knew God to be larger than human imagining. She knew God would not limit love and healing to Israel only. Jesus told her that her faith was great and immediately her child was healed. We are invited by God to be bold in our faith, strong and insistent in love. We are never outside the healing an embrace of God.

Today I ask God to help me be constant in faith and prayer. Help us be fierce in our intercessions for other and constant I our willingness to go to bat for others. Let us not be reticent or reluctant but as fearless as the Canaanite woman in the face of some much evil. May we stand for the innocent and vulnerable knowing God will come and heal those we fight for today.

No comments: