Sunday, January 3, 2016

Mary Letters - Day 33

In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, "Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage." When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him; and calling together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. They told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it has been written by the prophet:
`And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
who is to shepherd my people Israel.'"
Then Herod secretly called for the wise men and learned from them the exact time when the star had appeared. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child; and when you have found him, bring me word so that I may also go and pay him homage." Matthew 2:1-9

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I am going to keep this letter very short. I have been very sick, and the kind women here have been taking care of the baby. They even brought in a wet nurse, so I could rest when my little boy needs to be fed. Joseph has been cooking soup for me, washing my face to cool my fever, and being the best husband a woman could ask for. He's also a great father, adoring the child God gave us to care for, watching him every minute and delighting in every move he makes. He reads to him and tells him stories, even though he knows that the baby is too little to understand.

There are more rumors about trouble in the kingdom. Lots of murmuring about a child who will take the throne away from Herod. I don't understand all of it but the local men have been conferring with Joseph. They are offering advice that we might want to escape this part of the world for a while - and me being so sick! When I am better, we will have to decide what is best for us. I ask your prayers as always.

Sending love across the miles and missing you terribly right now.

Mary


The Collect O God, who wonderfully created, and yet more wonderfully restored, the dignity of human nature: Grant that we may share the divine life of him who humbled himself to share our humanity, your Son Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

No comments: