Monday, January 4, 2016

Mary Letters- Day 34

On the holy mount stands the city he founded;
   the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,
   O city of God.
         
Among those who know me I mention Rahab and Babylon;
   Philistia too, and Tyre, with Ethiopia—
   ‘This one was born there,’ they say.


And of Zion it shall be said,
   ‘This one and that one were born in it’;
   for the Most High himself will establish it.
The Lord records, as he registers the peoples,
   ‘This one was born there.’
         
Singers and dancers alike say,
   ‘All my springs are in you.’Psalm 87




Dear Auntie,

I am feeling much better today as the local wise women found a curative herb that helped get rid of my fever and chills. They said I had milk fever, although they failed to explain what that really is. I am a bit weak but feeling able to care for my baby much better than before. He is growing so fast, holding his head up and looking around. He smiles freely and reaches for anyone that comes near. He is willing to be held by everyone and enjoys listening to his Daddy read and sing to him. When neighbors gather in this barn to check on us, he lights up as if the whole world was his oyster.

The shepherds have visited again with more rumors and fears. The talk is loud and constant - they say that Herod is going to do something terrible very soon. He's not a kind man at all, this we know, but we have been oblivious to his cruelty by living far away from the cities. I cannot wait to get back to Momma and Daddy as they seem so far away and I surely wish to see them again and show them this incredible boy. Momma has written and the Inn keeper brings us her correspondences with great flair. He treats us like we are celebrities in his barn! Well, I guess it's not every day a baby, a human baby that is, is born in one's stable. They have been so kind and helpful. They feel like family.

Well, too much to do and not nearly enough time, as always.

love,

Mary

No comments: