Sunday, March 18, 2018

Thunder


Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.
“Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, “An angel has spoken to him.” Jesus answered, “This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die. John 12:20-33

Thunder

The storms of this world trouble us
deep rumbling thunder in the sky
the voice from heaven glorifying
we trembled and run to hide.

When God is doing a new thing
remaking the world, setting us free
we cling to the old imprisonment
hold fast to the bars the bound us.

Despite ourselves and our troubles
the Creator is moving the clouds
dispelling gloom and dark terror
washing the world clean of this scourge.

The hearts of the young are brimming
their voices like thunder from above
our children are screaming for peace
the Divine smiles over all creation.

The hour is drawing very near to us
our souls are troubled by our lack
yet the heavens and earth will tremble
for love divine is on the move.

 
 


Collect
Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: