Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Good Shepherd


Jesus said to them, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.” John 10:7-17 
The shepherds I am most familiar with are not Middle Eastern but American or Irish.  Watching the border collies herd the sheep while the shepherd whistles and barks commands is always a joyous time for me. The stubborn sheep try to make a break for it, but they never get away. As a teenager, we had a border collie, Penny, who was indefatigable, smart and watching us like a hawk. When we took her out for walks she would nudge us out of the road, herding us even when we were taking care of her. It was the essence of her nature. She knew her job was to get us home safely. 
Jesus is explaining to the disciples about his nature. He, the Savior of the world, in flesh, among them, was there to care for them. It was the essence of who he was and why he was sent. To a broken and fragile people, he was promising to them and us, love so deep and broad that will guide us safely home. He is the Good Shepherd, the one who came that we might have life and be made one beloved flock. 
Today, I ask God to help me listen to the guidance of the Good Shepherd. May know that we are cared for and sought out, and may we share that caring love with all we meet.

No comments: