Sunday, April 29, 2018

Vine and Branches


Jesus said to his disciples, ”I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower.
He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit
he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word
that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot
bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide
in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them
bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide
in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered,
thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you,
ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this,
that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.” John 15:1-8

Vine and Branches

The cold April rains have come
ending the month with dark clouds
softening the hardened winter's soil
readying the dormant to burst with life.

Huddled under overhangs shielded
from the worst  chilling downpours 
we feel cut off, isolated from everyone
yet we are being prepared again.

The shadows that hover over us
are promises of care and inclusion
signs of the Holy walking this ground
caring for us as we break forth anew.

Growth and abundance calls for pruning
small losses needed for great gains
letting go of the false securities and crutches
we find ourselves able to dance once again.





No comments: