Thursday, May 24, 2018

All You That Are Weary

At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:25-30 

There is nothing quite like settling in to watch the sunset with toes buried in the sand. The glaring heat of the day has passed and the waves make their twilight dance on the shore. I find rest and comfort by the ocean, her day and night sounds soothe me, and I often dream of childhood days digging in the sand as the waves wash over me. Others find comfort in mountain heights, or the sounds of the city. If we but close our eyes, we can bring to mind those places and people that ring our comfort.

Our Gospel finds Jesus praying for his disciples, much as a parent does for their children - for safety, comfort and a sense of total acceptance. The world may not embrace us, but there are people in our lives who love us and accept us just as we are. And we find Jesus stretching out comprehensive arms of love for those who would simply acknowledge our need. Too often, we try to be independent when we need comfort, afraid to ask because we might seem weak. In God's love we are made brave and strong, even in our limits and weakness.

Today, I ask God to help me seek the loving comfort of the Creator in this created world. May we seek to be comfort as well, to those who are lost and torn.


No comments: