Thursday, January 3, 2019

Good Shepherd - Mary Letter Day 32


So again Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.” John 10:7-17 
Dear Elizabeth,
we were visited by the shepherds again last night. They come often at night to sit with us and sip tea and tell stories. They cannot get over their experience with the angels. They seem to need to make sense of it, as if Joseph and I might have some insight for them. One little child keeps asking why it was them. They say they are not worthy of that kind of honor, that kind of respect. The occupying authority sees them as a less than nothing, they tell us. They have no wealth besides their sheep and no power at all. Yet God chose them they say with great delight! We can only respond by admitting our surprise and delight in God choosing us as well.
The sheep often crowd around the baby, who reaches out for them. They do not shy from his touch but rather, lean in, as if they are right at home with him. The animals here in this stable do not seem to mind our presence, but rather seemed quiet and settled with us here. We try to help out with their feeding and care since the inn keeper will not charge us for this space. We are often given gifts of food from our visitors, and we share them with the other guests as well as our hosts. 
The city that surrounds us bustles with people and the noise is often overwhelming. Here inside, it is a sanctuary of sorts. Folks bring us stories of violence and cruel political agendas. We try to ignore the worst, but it is hard knowing who to trust and which stories to believe. Some have told us that we are being sought out, that the Roman governor wants us dead! I am sure that is not true, but it is terrible how anyone could imagine we could be a threat. Like the shepherds, we are really less than nothing in power and wealth. Yet, here we are, trying to figure out what's next.
Love always,
Mary


No comments: