Friday, January 17, 2020

A Mother's Instruction



On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what concern is that to you and to me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Now standing there were six stone water jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to them, “Fill the jars with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. He said to them, “Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward.” So they took it. When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the bridegroom and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now.” Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples; and they remained there a few days.John 2:1-12

I lost my mother almost five year's ago. I remember how, when she told me to do things, I might bristle as a child. When an adult, and she would tell me to do something, I would revert to my child like feelings and behaviors. I have learned, over the years, that her instruction and insight were always on the mark. They have helped me to be who I am today. Yet, we are also human and often miss the worth of the love and gifts we have been given. And we find out, that the small obligations and tasks done reluctantly or otherwise, were really our very best.

Jesus is instructed by his mother and his bristles at her prodding. Yet, he also gives in, and with that miracles begin. Jesus was and is fully human, knowing the tug and pull of family. Yet, in his willingness to follow her instruction, his life and our lives changed forever. We are invited to follow Jesus' lead, taking the instruction given as an opportunity to change everything for the good

Today, I ask God to help me to follow instructions given with joy and hope. May we be ever expectant that the small things we do may be huge blessings, made holy at the hand of a loving God.

No comments: