Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Darkside of Epiphany






For thus says the LORD: You were sold for nothing, and you shall be redeemed without money. For thus says the Lord GOD: Long ago, my people went down into Egypt to reside there as aliens; the Assyrian, too, has oppressed them without cause. Now therefore what am I doing here, says the LORD, seeing that my people are taken away without cause? Their rulers howl, says the LORD, and continually, all day long, my name is despised. Therefore my people shall know my name; therefore in that day they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I. Isaiah 52:3-6









Yesterday was the feast of the Epiphany and a time when all nations rejoice in the light of God. We celebrate the visit of the wise men to the infant Jesus. Yet, we also know that this visit was not without it's dark side, one surrounded by fear and dire consequences. The exotic visitors from the east, who would stand our in any crowd, and the humble parents and child who would not, all had to run for their lives. They had to seek shelter in hostile and foreign territories. Their plans were permanently disrupted. They faced execution by a ruler who wanted power over insight. This ruler sent armed soldiers to kill both parents and child, innocent visitors for his selfish intentions. 

Yesterday, Epiphany 2021, we witnessed a modern day enactment of the selfish blind rage of King Herod. As the mob attacked the US capitol, and our elected leaders were threatened and fearful, I couldn't help but see that every Epiphany has its dark side. Light will always be a threat to evil and selfishness, wisdom and insight, a threat to ignorance, and truth a threat to delusion and pretend. I trembled as I watched, wondering how it must have been for those inside the building, as well as feeling a connection to those ancient visitors and that little family huddled in a stable. All I could do was pray, as I imagine they did as well.

Dear Author of light and truth, 
stand with us in these dark times. 
Bind us together in love which celebrates 
the unique gifts of every tribe, culture and clan. 
Let us be those who hold fast to the promises
 of peace and justice when unity is threatened.
 Let us be your vessels of healing and peace. 
May we hold you light high in this darkness
and may we always be your beacons of hope. Amen.


No comments: