Monday, February 12, 2024

Denial and Testing


Simon Peter and another disciple followed Jesus. Since that disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the courtyard of the high priest, but Peter was standing outside at the gate. So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out, spoke to the woman who guarded the gate, and brought Peter in. The woman said to Peter, ‘You are not also one of this man’s disciples, are you?’ He said, ‘I am not.’ Now the slaves and the police had made a charcoal fire because it was cold, and they were standing round it and warming themselves. Peter also was standing with them and warming himself. Then the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and about his teaching. Jesus answered, ‘I have spoken openly to the world; I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all the Jews come together. I have said nothing in secret. Why do you ask me? Ask those who heard what I said to them; they know what I said.’ When he had said this, one of the police standing nearby struck Jesus on the face, saying, ‘Is that how you answer the high priest?’ Jesus answered, ‘If I have spoken wrongly, testify to the wrong. But if I have spoken rightly, why do you strike me?’ Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest. Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. They asked him, ‘You are not also one of his disciples, are you?’ He denied it and said, ‘I am not.’ One of the slaves of the high priest, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, asked, ‘Did I not see you in the garden with him?’ Again, Peter denied it, and at that moment the cock crowed. John 18:15-27

I cannot play poker or bluffing games. My face always gives me away. I have always wanted to hide the hurt and pain, to keep it from my face and only allow the joy, yet, it is impossible for me. Our reading today finds us deep in the passion of Christ, when he was being tested and called a liar, while his dear friend Peter was lying and denying him three times over. The truth comes from our Creator and falsehoods from our broken humanity, our need to save ourselves. In God, there is no weakness. And we are forgiven our many deceptions and falsehoods by our Creator, who is always love and truth. 

Blessed Creator, you are in our darkest hours
shedding light and warmth where we cannot
giving us strength in the face of great threats
and peace in the midst of dangerous storms.

We often forget that we are never alone
thinking we have to fight or run away
we deceive ourselves and we deceive others
yet you know the brokenness in our hearts.

Help us to face the times of trial with peace
help us turn the enemy in to a friend with love
let our lives be open and honest when tested
trusting i your ever loving presence with us now. Amen.



No comments: