Friday, February 16, 2024

Protect Them


I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. John 17:9-19

When my children were young, I worried about them all the time, praying for them when they headed out to school and other places. It's a parent thing, I guess. And now they are grown, strong, beautiful women, I still worry about them and put my worries into prayer. "Protect them, Lord, keep them safe and help them know they are loved." I ask them to call me once they arrive safely when they are traveling. I can't help it. Nor could Jesus. When we love others we care deeply, want them to always be safe and protected. How marvelous to realize our perfect Savior, who gave his life for us, cares about our safety and protection. He care like a human mother or father for us, his headstrong and wandering children.

Wondrous Creator, source of all love
you tenderly care for us as a perfect parent
watching over us in the day and in the night
always holding us close to your tender heart.

We wander off and get lost in our foolishness
headstrong and determined we seek trouble
only to ache for a clear direction home
only to find you watching over us all.

Take our hand, Lord, and guide us home
help us to find rest in your loving arms
make us humble enough to seek you help
and may our prayers seek your protection for all. Amen.

No comments: