Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Light of the World


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. John 8:12-20

I am reminded how essential light is to our existence. Here in midwinter February, as the days finally grow longer, I can feel how my body aches for light and sunshine.  So many days with clouds this winter, has resulted in so many aching for more light. When we lived in Alaska, and the light was minimal during the day in winter, we finally understood how people can be affected by the lack of light.  Today, here in early February, Jesus speaks directly to us, reminding us that he is the light of the world. We can find whatever we lack, whatever we ache for in Christ Jesus.

Beloved Creator you designed the seasons
for times of planting and caretaking
times of reflection and quiet rest
and times for basking in the sun's light.

We often complain about what we lack
and whine about the weather and the clouds
yet you have promised to be our light and life
in every dark shadowy time in our lives.

Help us to seek you in our deep darkness
trusting that we can find completeness in you
knowing your love is lifting the clouds
and brining new light and life to us all. Amen.

No comments: