Monday, June 6, 2022

Great is Your Faith!





Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.” But he did not answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, “Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” He answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed instantly. Matthew 15:21-28






We have three daughters and I would do anything for them. They are a part of my being. I still pray for my grown daughters every day and sometimes every moment. I have prayed them trough good times and bad, through all the unexpected challenges and hurts that come their way. They will now call me and ask me to pray. Our story of the mother who came to Jesus, a stranger, a Canaanite, an enemy of the Jewish people, resonates completely with me. There is a fierceness in her, a persistence, that comes with a mother's heart. Jesus sees her love and her faithfulness.

Great Creator, who love us like children
who fiercely cries out for our well-being
who aches when we fall and turn away
and who rejoices when we return again.
Loving God, be with all the broken ones
with all the parents who are grieving
with those who cannot get a hearing
and with all who ache for healing today.
Let us be your heart and hands sharing
your love for all your beloved children. Amen.
 


No comments: