Monday, August 22, 2022

Abide in Me


The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.” He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. John 6:52-59 

We used to sing the bread of heaven song, as my children called it, as a blessing for the meal. When we were with my extended family at my parents' home, there would be four part harmony with my Dad's strong tenor voice leading us all. "Feed me now and ever more, feed me now and ever more. Whenever e sing that hymn in church, I can't help but think of those days around their dining room table. That house is gone, yet the power of needing the bread of heaven stays with me. The desire to have Jesus abide in me has never ben stronger.

Wondrous Creator, you feed us and sty with us
help us to make our lives full of your love
despite the fact that we wander and go it on our own
you promise to abide with us despite our failings.
Precious Savior, stay with us, abide with us
for the world is cruel and suffering abounds
we need your strength to carry on in service
we need you to keep our eyes on heavenly food. Amen.

No comments: