Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Spirit Descends

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’ I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.” And John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.” John 1:29-34

I do not remember my baptism, but I still have the little bible that my godparents gave to me on that occasion. Many of us are baptized as infants and wonder whether there was ever a spirit descending upon us. We share the baptism of Jesus, yet we often don't recognize the Spirit in our lives, let alone the Spirit of God. Yet we are all called to be filled with the same spirit. That Spirit is the spirit of generosity, humility, justice and love. 

Wondrous Creator, you shaped us all
as dusty clay in your loving hands
you breathed your spirit upon all flesh
the spirit of compassion and justice.

Your spirit of love see all as beautiful
your spirit makes us all siblings together
your spirit binds us as generous servants
and call us to serve the least among us.

Help us to put our compete trust in you
let us be filled to the brim with your spirit
let your love, compassion and justice guide us
so your spirit might flourish in all people.

 


No comments: