Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Absalom Jones


‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. John 15:12-15

Today is the feast day of Absalom Jones, was born into slavery, bought his freedom (and his wife Mary's) and went on to be the first ordained African American priest in the Episcopal Church. Bishop William White ordained Jones as Deacon in 1795 and as priest in 1802. He lovingly lead the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas, Philadelphia for many years, until his death in 1818. Despite the challenges he faced, he stood tall in the face of horrific discrimination, worked tirelessly to care for his people while building up their faith in God and God's care for the "oppressed and distressed." Today, he is a model for persistence in the face of abuse, and love that lifts all people. May we follow in his footsteps on our walk of faith.



Collect for Absalom Jones


  Set us free, heavenly Father,
 from every bond of prejudice and fear; 
that, honoring the steadfast courage 
of your servant Absalom Jones, 
we may show forth in our lives 
the reconciling love and true freedom
 of the children of God, 
which you have given us 
in our Saviour Jesus Christ; 
who lives and reigns with you 
and the Holy Spirit, one God, 
now and forever. Amen

No comments: