Thursday, May 23, 2024

Come to Me


At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’ Matthew 11:25-30


Whenever I hear this reading from Matthew, I cannot help by hear these words in the music of Handel's Messiah. Having sung these words many times, they are embedded on my heart and cannot be disconnected from one another. The music soars, reminding me that when I am weary, when the burdens overwhelm me, when troubles and pain seem beyond my bearing, Jesus says to all of us, " come unto me, and I will give you rest. May we rest today in the promise of a loving Savior who shoulders our burdens and sorrows and who is with us in our darkest and most painful times.

Compassionate Creator, very heart of us all
you invite us daily to learn the ways of love
to care for those who are suffering and alone
to know our burdens are born by your Son.

We are so independent and hardheaded
we believe ourselves able to solve problems
we forget to ask for help and resent asking
while you stand with open arms inviting us.

Let us be humble in heart and seek you
make us always ready to ask for divine help
let us be those who carry the burdens of others
trusting that you are shouldering the load with us. Amen.

No comments: