Sunday, September 8, 2024

My Sheep Hear My Voice


Again the Jews were divided because of these words. Many of them were saying, ‘He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him?’ Others were saying, ‘These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?’ At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, ‘How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.’ Jesus answered, ‘I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.’ John 10:19-30

Yesterday, we heard a wonderful homily from Bishop Mark Lattime (Alaska) at Bishop Dave Bailey's service in Farmington, New Mexico. He reminded us all, that despite our differences we were all one flock following the one shepherd, Jesus. We are not strangers or enemies, but a people imbued with a love so deep and so broad that it can find us in our most hidden and broken places. Jesus knows us and we know the sound of his voice, the voice of love incarnate, the voice that does not divide us but rather, calls us all together. Our friend and colleague, Dave Bailey, loved the people he served and lead with a deep and abiding love. May we listen to our great shepherd and hurry to be about love and mending.

Gracious Creator, you tend your vast flock
you gather us when we are hungry and lost
you lead us when we have forgotten the way
and you bring us home to your eternal place.

We wander and whine and seek our own path
we stumble and fall as we crawl through the dark
even when we are stubborn and refuse to listen
you call us, you seek us and bring us back home.

Help us to be a flock who serve with deep love
make us strong to persist in abiding and caring
when the world tells us to tear everything apart
make us your one flock, with one shepherd, Jesus. Amen.

No comments: