Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grateful for love


But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her.”Matthew 26:10-13

This morning, after spending yesterday with chores for my mother, we rose up early and headed out to ride the ferry across the Delaware Bay. The morning was moist and warm but the trip across was cooled by the water and breezes. Out on the water, either alone or with a crowd, there is so much to wonder about and so much to take in. The landscape is familiar on both shores, and yet, seeing each from the water's distance, I could relive all of the good days on both shores, in heat and cold. And I remembered most the people who have shown me love over the years, the salty independent people who live and work near the water. And I couldn't help but be grateful.

A woman showered Jesus with appreciation, with gratefulness for love given, for life restored, for being treasured when the world had tossed her aside. The religious elite wanted to chastise her, but Jesus knew that this come of gratitude for love rings through the ages. When we are loved and accepted, we are made whole. And being whole we can love and be grateful with our whole being.

Today, I want to live my life in gratitude for all those people who have shared God's love with me and accepted me as I am. I want my day to be in honor of the hers and hims who offer a love beyond measure - I cannot help but be grateful.

No comments: