Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Strength in Adversity


Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith — to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen. Romans 17:25-27

Living with my mother for almost three weeks this summer, I learned a good deal about strength in adversity and faithfulness in times of isolation and abandonment. My mother, at 87, is a bit forgetful, but her body and spirit are in good shape. She keeps in physical shape by walking and in spiritual shape by praying. By her place at the table she keeps a small notebook of people that have requested prayers and the specific things asks for. Whenever she has a few minutes, she will sit there and pray for family, friends and strangers alike. She exercises her relationship with her God in such a way that she is fit for duty at every call.

Paul, writing to the faithful in Rome, knows of the challenges and heartaches they face. He also knows that God's power has and will work through them. Despite his distance from them, he prays constantly for them, knowing that his exercise of faith will see them through, even when overwhelmed and weak.

I am reminded today, that f I feel weak, God is inviting me to pray. God is reminding me to exercise the gifts and muscles I have been blessed with, trusting that despite whatever circumstances befall, God will find a way through for me. I pray that today I can pray and trust so that the world might know of God's love in my life.

No comments: