Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Talents


His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’Matthew 25:21

Over my life time there have been several dogs in my life, those we had as a child (Lassie, Penny) and those Mark and the girls and I have shared including Jorma, Doolin, Madeline and now Petey. We love to try to teach our dogs skills and tricks and some of these animals were more talented than others. Penny, who was a border collie was by far the smartest and bright dog I have known. And she was also very driven, edgy and nervous -not always fun to live with. She wasn't a cuddler. Petey on the other hand is a mixed breed mutt pound dog with not to many brain cells but a heart of gold, who wants more than anything to please her master and is willing to cuddle and love at any minute. Talent given and talent shared are two very different things. And love is always the best talent we cah share in whatever measure we have.

As I have said before, I have a hard time with these end time passages in Matthew, and yet I understand that they were written to a specific audience that needed a wake up call. I for one am grateful for the talents given in my life and the talents shared across my faith journey.

So today as I recover from a bout with a bug, I pray that God will use my talents and gifts to the utmost. And if love and care are the greatest gifts given, may I have the strength to give my all today. May we always be ready to give more than we have given knowing that God will supply the need and provide in abundance.

No comments: