Saturday, July 31, 2010

I am with you Always


Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:16-20
Today I swam a half mile to raise money for cancer research and treatment. So many of my family members and friends have been affected by the disease and I felt anything I could do to help would be a good thing. It was also a good personal goal, to get back in shape and swim regularly in preparation. I am not sure if I was ready, but when I got there, a doctor friend of mine, who had already done his long swim last week, signed up to keep me company and cheer me on. My husband and oldest daughter were with me, keeping track of my laps and smiling all the way. And with every lap, I was praying for all of those I know who have been lost to cancer, who have struggled and lost their battle and those who are brave survivors. They were swimming with me too and I felt their presence with me in each stroke. "I am with you, even to the end of the age"

God, who desires relationship and authors love so that we might live with joy, has promised to be with us, in whatever trial we face, or whatever silly personal challenge we take on. Jesus, gave power to each of his disciples and to all the members of God's family who follow after. We are never alone in what we do. We are surrounded by God's love and the witness and strength of all who go before us and who sustain us in their faith. May today be a day when we remember all of those who taught us how to love and live, and by so doing, taught us to know God.

No comments: