Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Shelter from the Storm


While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. John 17:12-19

Shelter From the Storm


Raining cats and dogs water falling
from the sky hard to earth
winds beating on the huge logs
that provide us this shelter.

Staying inside on a rainy day
no gallant effort we have a home
a safe harbor and provisions plenty
but there is no hiding from other blasts.

We are known for our faith and following
for the truth we have been given
love for a broken world we have
and the world would turn on us.

We can hide or we can live
put the boats up or launch them now
we are called to thrive in the storm
and set sail in dangerous seas.

Creator God goes with us, wraps us
although we are wet and worn and weary
love's truth abides and we go on
sheltered by the cover of love.


No comments: