Thursday, April 4, 2013


“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another." John 15:12-17

Gathering in Fairbanks with others bishops to pray together and talk about how to serve our people best. Loving one another has been the commandment of the faithful from the beginning. We find that it is easier said than done though, and the church has not always loved first.

Jesus is training and teaching his disciples how to live in the time after his active ministry. The disciples probably didn't hear him well at the time but these words took new meaning after the resurrection. Living post-resurrection is the challenge for all of us. The love of God ignites our love for one another. We might not be able to love one another unconditionally, but God loves us unconditionally at all times in all places, despite all the challenges we face.

Today I ask God to help me accept the love of God. May we all exercise love and care of others as we have been given unlimited sources by God. May we understand this new commandment as a gift of God, a gift that is limitless and deep, poured out for us all.


No comments: