Friday, April 5, 2013

Waiting on the Spirit


“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged."

“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you." John 16:4-15


Waiting is not my best attribute. And yet there are times in my life when I have to make something happen when it was really not the proper season or the ready time. We have been talking about how to best serve our native communities. We talked about how we can help change the high level of domestic violence, alcohol abuse and suicide. We found that as we joined together a spirit was moving through us. Small steps and personal ones, based on trusting and supportive relationships was what we found together.

Jesus continues in his preparation for leaving the disciples. No one really wanted to hear that. None of us want to hear about someone we love so dearly leaving us. It is hard to listen to and hard to imagine. So the disciples looked back and realized that Jesus had made a way forward for them despite their own humanity and obstinance.
God is always working a better future for us despite our unwillingness to listen or to change. God is securing the path for us and sending the spirit to us so we can know when to move.

Today I ask God to help me wait on the spirit. May we all listen to the words we hear and not filter out what we would rather not hear. May we offer our lives for the sake of others, joyfully accepting the path that God reveals. And may we prayerfully wait, when necessary and tenderly hold those who have been broken by violence and pain. May we know that even in our deepest pain and torment, God is providing for us a path ahead.

No comments: